Wednesday, June 08, 2005

Grewal asks for a senate post

The first he-said/she-said exchange in the Grewal episode came when Grewal claimed that the Liberals had offered a senate post to his wife if the two of them crossed the floor and became Liberals. For the first two weeks of the controversy, there was no clear answer, even after the Conservatives released what they claimed was all the tapes.

Those tapes, as we all know now, were altered, and the episode in which a senate seat was discussed was one of the places where something had dropped out. That occurred during Grewal's meeting with Dosanjh and Murphy. To get a sense of what else dropped out, see my slideshow.

Here is one image from that slide show on p. 13 that clearly answers the question of who was telling the truth about the senate seat.
In fact, you don't have to believe your eyes, since you can hear Grewal's request for yourself by clicking here. (Download it here.) (Thanks to Ryan for his help with this.)

So, who asked for the senate seat? Grewal. He even admits that Dosanjh had advised him not to make such a request. What was the Liberal answer? That they had no such seat to offer. Who was lying? Grewal. Who was telling the truth about this fact, at least? Apparently the Liberals. (Hey, there's got to be a first time for everything!)

And what is that yellow? Those are the parts that were left out of the first version of the tapes that the Conservatives released. Why? Because it showed that Grewal was lying.

5 Comments:

Blogger Mark-Alan Whittle said...

Excellent presentation of the transcript.

There is no doubt in my mind that someone cut out the damaging statements made by Grewal.

Whomever did the job must have been brain dead, or something worse.

To be fair, I also record all of my phone conversations too, using a custom made digidal MD recorder setup on my world phone.

I have more than a few militant education union executives lying through their teeth about the true nature of "strike votes" and the unions claims this percentage of membership reflects the wishes of the whole.

But I digress, which is easy when Canadians seem surrounded by political incompetence.

My rule of thumb is, if part of your conversation makes you look bad, all of it does, so never say anything you wouldn't tell you Mom.

9:24 AM  
Blogger buckets said...

Hi MAW. Since you have some experience with this, could you comment more on what the process is, equipment necessary, etc.? (Is it different for conversations, phones, cell-phones? How much equipment can we assume Grewal had?)

Your comment strikes me as raising a potentially interesting point. I think we've all assumed that there were analogue tapes that were transferred to digital. Some of the recording may have been done digitally.

(Nice to see another Hamiltonian here.)

10:57 AM  
Blogger Progressive Maritimer said...

I remember one article that I read in the last week that stated that the tapes were recorded on mini cassettes and went through 4 or 5 transitions before released. It was probably one of those small tape recording units that university students buy for taping lectures. That was my undertstanding at least. Let my try and find the article (I've only about 100 in the last week so it might take a little while).

11:00 AM  
Blogger buckets said...

(MAW if you make a little report on this on your blog, I'll link to it. It should increase your traffic.)

11:02 AM  
Blogger No Yards said...

Increase your traffic ... I'll say. The link I gave you to the dowload area for the new, but relatively unchanged, tapes on the Grewal site took 425 downloads (and gawd knows how many hits it may have seen) in one day. Good thing I didn't link directly to my local server at home. or it would have swamped my system. :)

11:54 AM  

Post a Comment

<< Home