Tuesday, June 07, 2005

It's Bouquets, by the way

Back before the tapes hit the fan I found a story from somewhere commenting on the fact that Grewal is not pronounced "gruel", but "grey-wal" (Sadly I've been out of the country for the whole story, so as far as I know this is how it's being pronounced on the tv and radio. The fact that others have used the pun, however, suggests to me that "gruel" is used, too.)

Anyway, this reminds of the British TV series "Keeping Up Appearances", about Hyacinth and Richard Buckets (pronounced 'bouquets': Hyacynth affects upper class snobbery).

So for all you name droppers out there. When you mention me, "Buckets of Grewal" is pronounced "Bouquets of Grey-wall".

3 Comments:

Blogger Mark Richard Francis said...

I knew that all along.

But, you see, I didn't care.

12:45 PM  
Anonymous Anonymous said...

Seen this yet?
Gurmant Grewal's Liberian Mystery
http://www.thetyee.ca/Views/2005/06/07/GrewalMystery/

1:57 PM  
Anonymous Anonymous said...

wormwall. That was what some was the name given to him by some in the media out west.

2:34 PM  

Post a Comment

<< Home