Thursday, June 02, 2005

The problematic passage

One of the files released on Grewal's site is "tel ud tm.mp3", which goes with the transcript. "4Telconversations-TimMurphy-Gurmant-Grewal-UjjalDosanjh-Gurmant Grewal.pdf". It contains five phonecalls. This is how the second phonecall between Dosanjh and Grewal begins (the third phonecall on the tape) (the emphasis, in bold, is that of the Conservative editor):
GG Yes, How are you?
UD I'm OK, I talked to Tim, I met him after lunch in his office. It can be OK but with some gap of time. Like Scott Brison, Scott Brison was made Parliamentary Secretary, that thing can not be ruled out. That, PRIME MINISTER can say to you or not. If that can not happen right now, that will be done in 2 or 4 weeks. You do understand that, right. Those are the thing that can happen. Gradually, when you hold the roots, while you sacrifice, I'm sure rewards are there at some point, right. No one can forget such gentures but they require certain degree of deniability. A Big Laugh. Right, You understand this.
The last lines of this, make Dosanjh look very bad: cynical and crooked.

One thing that you won't know from this is that most of this is in Punjabi, with occasional shifts into English. (This is not all that weird, as those who have operated in two languages will tell you.) Some of the transitions between Punjabi and English sound really unnatural and the background noise is inconsistent. I've clipped the mp3 file and am trying to find somewhere to mount it. This is (I think) one of the files that the Liberals are complaining about.

Anyway, here is the same passage with Punjabi in italics and English in bold.
GG Yes, How are you?
UD I'm OK, I talked to Tim, I met him after lunch in his office. It can be OK but with some gap of time. Like Scott Brison, Scott Brison was made Parliamentary Secretary, that thing can not be ruled out. That, PRIME MINISTER can say to you or not. If that can not happen right now, that will be done in 2 or 4 weeks. You do understand that, right. Those are the thing that can happen. Gradually, when you hold the roots, while you sacrifice, I'm sure rewards are there at some point, right. No one can forget such gestures but they require certain degree of deniability. (Big Laugh) Right, You understand this.
Now you can download the MP3 of this from here. Is it just me, or do the last dozen words of this sound sound cobbled together?

3 Comments:

Blogger Mike said...

Buckets,

I just want to be the first to say congratulations. The MSM may not admit it, but if not for your work actually going over the tapes, cathcing the eye of zerby and showing that there was indeed alterations to the tape, none of this may have come out.

Hats off to you, buddy. A true hero in my books.

And for the rest of the bloogers who kept this story going. Good job.

Fuck I love the internet.

8:54 PM  
Blogger buckets said...

Thanks for your kind words, Mike. But I think this would have come out anyway. You can be sure that the Liberals began pouring over those tapes the second that they were released, and Dosanjh will have recognized where the tapes were falsified.

But I take pleasure at having been at or close to the leading edge during this.

Have you downloaded the tape? I'd be interested in hearing where people think the breaks are.

9:24 PM  
Blogger Mike said...

I just saw the expert on the National demonstrating it...very obvious...even he made the fruedian slip of referring to it as an "edit" rather than a click more than once.

10:33 PM  

Post a Comment

<< Home