Thursday, May 26, 2005

Murphy's Throw-In

As I mentioned below, I suspect that the Conservatives decided to surrender the tapes to the RCMP in order to neutralize demands for their release, which I described as 'kicking into touch' (Rugby-ese for putting the ball out of play).

I suspect that this was in response to what Murphy and his lawyers were doing. Before the Conservatives had surrendered the tapes, Murphy was threatening legal action: "Mr. Murphy has retained legal counsel and will be pursuing a libel action against Andrew Coyne of the National Post." (see here )

I wonder whether the point here was not so much to punish Coyne or indeed to silence him, but to create a circumstance in which the tapes could be subpoened?

Once the tapes are in the hands of the RCMP, does the strategy change?

0 Comments:

Post a Comment

<< Home